Geo-Seas article in the EPOS Newsletter
The European Plate Observing System - EPOS project regularly publishes newsletters. The issue of September 2011 includes a nice article about Geo-Seas.
EPOS is an EU ESFRI project that aims to integrate the following existing core elements within a cyber-infrastructure to realize:
- A comprehensive geographical distributed observational infrastructure consisting of existing seismic and geodetic (presently GPS, Galileo) permanent national monitoring networks on a European scale.
- Dedicated observatories for multidisciplinary local data acquisition (volcanoes, in-situ fault-zone monitoring experiments, geothermal and deep drilling experiments, including the application of geophysics to Earth’s surface dynamics and environmental changes).
- A network of experimental laboratories creating a single distributed research infrastructure for rock and mineral properties and analogue tectonic modelling.
- Facilities for data repositories as well as for integration, analysis, visualisation, archiving and mining of various solid Earth datasets, including geophysical, geological, and geochemical observations.
- Facilities for distributed storage and computing resources for high performance computing and collaborative large-scale modelling.